This was not a project I thought I could do. The weeds were mostly dandelions,well rooted buttercups and invasive grass).
Last year I didn't garden and the weeds were hugely happy in their freedom. The bulbs in the bed, the roses and the other perennials are doing fine. It is the centre area that is the dahlia bed. You may be wondering 'what bed?'.
I worked 15 minutes at a time, got enough of the bed ready by the end of the week and I was really pleased to be able do the work.
So here is the before and after (ready for planting).
It rained at the beginning of the week and was sunny for the 5 days following. The soil was soft and the weed yield was 2 large paper compost bags (heavy). I added sea soil to the 5 spots that I am planting (see wire supports) on Sunday.
The dahlia tubers this year are from my friend at Second Time Around Finds. She is giving her friends with garden space dahlia tubers to plant so that she can have wonderful blossoms for her wedding in the fall. Great idea.
Sharing two collages from my other dahlia plantings over the years.
There is positive hope that the dahlia's will be planted in time, that the slugs will be vanquished, the watering remembered and the blossoms vibrant and ready for October 4th and the wedding.
Thanks for visiting.
I will be back on Monday.