Thursday, February 26, 2015

Small Changes with Chalk+Clay Paint

Turquoise appeals to me.  I picked up a fresh can of CeCe Caldwell's Santa Fe Turquoise Natural Chalk + Clay Paint Wednesday afternoon. I have some small wooden pieces to paint and my old can was finally finished. The first project was to repaint one of my favourite little stools.

I've kept my mid January Heap of Change # 1 room in pretty good shape since I finished sorting, donating, organizing, cleaning and making myself a restful room.

This week I tweaked the bookshelf a bit to make it more convenient by moving the books up and the baskets down the shelves.

I often need a little stool to stand on or put something on and this one is often in my room.

It is one I painted green many years ago, one of several  my Dad made for Church sales as well as for home and family. It is pattered after the one my Dad made as a young boy on the home ranch in the 1920's. 

Could not resist adding faux grain stripes by taping the stool Used painters tape in 2 different widths. Painted one coat of CeCe Caldwell Santa Fe Turquoise Natural Chalk + Clay Paint. It looks similar to a solid gel in the can. Paints on like a dream. I used ASCP Clear Wax as the finish.

before and after

Small changes.

Thanks for visiting today.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

February 2015 Thrifted Finds

Early February thrifted finds were light. One garage sale, a High School Fund Raiser, and a Valentine's Day drive 'out of town' to a favourite thrift shop after a lunch date plus checking the local thrift shops were the opportunities.

Love this thrift store, only visit a few times each year. Last Saturday (Valentines Day) they had a 50% off kitchenware sale. I filled a basket. Lots of blue to share with Smiling Sally Blue Monday and a collage to share with Judith of Lavender Cottage Mosaic Monday.

More from the thrift store, A and W small mugs.

This cutting board made me smile.

The blade has Sheffield Cutron Canada and the fork and steel have Sheffield England engraved.

Locally I found a wooden heart and a very handy toast rack, great for holding current paperwork.

Something pink and pretty to share with Beverly on How Sweet The Sound Pink Friday.

I tried out my portable light box this week (the grey and blue background photos) AND finally figured out which style of bulb would fit the portable light. Now I have a working pair of small lights with built in stands. 

And then ...

The Danish Lutheran Church had their once a year church sale. 2 hours only. Eddie you would love this sale, small scale with the sweetest ladies, always the 'gate keeper' of course, the long tables of household, then clothing and cloth and another of books and cds and videos. Pictures, soft sided suitcases and a small Danish smorgasbord for those who wanted lunch. Totally charming.

Brass Horses.
The books are Danish Grimms Fairy Tales.
Such wonderful wear.

Candle sconces

Mid Century Sadler creamer and sugar especially for Sir Thrift A Lot who finds great mid century collectibles.

I love this home made chopping board. Lots of wear. Vintage bowl beater and a small wooden scraper.

February turned out to be a great month for vintage finds.

Thanks for visiting.

Sharing with

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Our Life Off The Grid by J. David Cox

We had dinner Tuesday evening with David Cox and Sally Davies, a farewell until next time with lots of 'remember when's' and what are you doing next conversation. 45 years of friendship. They had a gift for us -  a copy of their first book Our Life Off the Grid. - An Urban Couple Goes Feral.

Dave writes the blog Off The Grid Living. This is the core of his book. Sally edited and prepared Dave's book to  publishing ready and now the book is published.

We met for dinner at the Hui Fu House Seafood Restaurant on Granville and 41st in Vancouver. This is a fairly new restaurant and very eclectic in decoration, from shabby chic, a bit of mid-century, a lot of Chinese history and some good examples of corbels and just really good junk. That may explain the Christmas wreath in mid February. Great food.

I said I wouldn't put their photo into my post but .... the book has many pictures of Dave, Sally, Fiddich and Megan (their Portuguese Water Dogs), the ravens, eagles, whale pods, construction, kayaking, hauling logs by boat ... 

Dave's book chronicles the beginning to the present of 10 years of living on a remote and unserviced island on coastal British Columbia Canada (living off the grid). Their home site is above steep rock cliffs with a very small rocky beach. Dave and Sally built their home, outbuildings, decks, storage and more working together. A great many adventures, a great deal of hard work and invention and learning are included. Collecting water, rescuing rogue logs for firewood, battery electricity storage (solar and wind), barges, visitors, the funicular, hosting Woofers, visiting students from Hong Kong, kayaks, boat engines and above all hauling everything by themselves to their boat from their car which is parked on another island, off the boat, up the steep incline (bless that funcular) to their home site.

Back Cover

Love having Dave's book in hand. It is so much faster to skim and find my favourite parts from his blog when I am holding a book. I can flip through and look up the 'how' of building their island home over 10 years; wind power, solar panels, battery storage system, wood gathering, fishing, the new workshop, making garden soil, gardening, construction, water collection, watching nature, the community ... no roads, no electricity. Cell reception, satellite internet, mail (post office is a boat ride away), barge delivery of propane and heavy equipment.

You can find Dave's book at and in Canada at and Smashwords. Dave and Sally are also having the book printed in Vancouver. BC

Great read.

Thanks for visiting.

Recent Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...